Well, eating gluten-free is tough anyway, but now add on a great big FOOD holiday and there could be frustration and confusion.
Here is a favorite recipe to enjoy:
Gluten-Free Acorn Squash stuffed with Wild Rice
All you need:
1 3/4 cups water
1 cups Lundberg wild blend rice® (HealthMarket)
1 small acorn squash, cut in half and seeded
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons crumbled sage leaves or ¾ teaspoon ground sage
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup Sahale crunchers® cranberries, sesame, honey mix
½ cup Newman’s own dried cranberries (HealthMarket)
All you do:
1. Prepare rice according to package directions. Transfer to large bowl.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil large baking sheet. Place squash, cut side down, on sheet. Bake until tender about 40 minutes. Cool. Using spoon, scoop out pulp, leaving ¼ inch shell. Reserve shells for serving. You can also microwave squash for 8 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. In large skillet, add oil, when warm, saute onion until tender about 15 minutes. Add sage and stir. Add rice, squash and lemon juice until mixed well. Mix in Sahale crunchers with almonds, cranberries and sesame seeds and dried cranberries.
5. Place stuffing in squash shells or on baking sheet. Bake for about 25 minutes
Special thanks to my daughter Michelle for this recipe. We have made this dish a few years in a row for special holiday meals. Only the brands listed are certified gluten-free. Hope you enjoy!
I will also post Hy-Vee’s Gluten free listing for the Holidays.