I have been very busy with kids club, kindergarten tours, One Step community garden activities and Kahoa elementary 5th graders. It was fun to present on the benefits of One step Community gardens and introducing kids to vegetables like artichoke, eggplant, mushrooms, spaghetti squash and others. Here is the recipe for Crispy Eggplant Pizza, it was a big hit and of course most kids (and parents) had not tried eggplant. What a good combination, pasta sauce and cheese!
Crispy Eggplant Pizza
All you need:
• 1 medium eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
• 2 Tablespoon Italian dressing
• 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
• 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
• ½ teaspoon Italian seasonings
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 2 cups meatless pasta sauce
• 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
All You Do:
1. Place Italian dressing in pie plate. Mix Panko crumbs with Parmesan cheese in pie plate. To the Parmesan cheese mixture, add the Italian seasonings, garlic powder and paprika. Dip the eggplant slices in Italian dressing and in the cheese with spices. Coat both sides.
2. Place the coated slices on greased cookie sheet. Spray cooking spray on eggplant.
3. Bake uncovered in a 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until eggplant is crisp on outside. Turn over halfway.
4. Spoon 1-2 tablespoon pasta sauce on crispy eggplant and top with grated cheese. Return to oven to melt cheese. Recipe created by Becky Guittar, RD
The kids also made Boatloads of Fruit in the waffle cone, let me know if you would like that recipe too. Elementary kids can still register for the next two club meetings on June 7 and July 26. Email me at email@example.com for details.