The Dietitians pick of the month is Strawberries. Here is a great recipe for a Strawberry Bruschetta..yummy. In this healthy recipe, the big, bold, salty and tangy flavor of blue cheese makes an unexpected but delicious match with sweet juicy strawberries. Serve as a quick appetizer topped up with chopped green chives and just in time for Mother’s Day Celebration.Fresh berries are in season and strawberries are the crowd favorite. With a sweet scent and bright color, strawberries are appetizing and versatile in many dishes.
In addition to adding a bust of color to any dish, strawberries provide many healthy nutrients. The majority of phytochemicals in strawberries are flavonoids, which give berries their bright colors, and are shown to have health benefits for the heart, preventing cancer and supporting cognitive function. Strawberries are also a great source of vitamin C which helps support a strong, healthy immune system, and potassium which may help lower blood pressure. Other nutrients in strawberries include fiber which increases the feeling of satiety (fullness) and folate to prevent birth defects.
Add strawberries to your Mother’s Day celebrations
• Prepare mom a delicious breakfast with fresh strawberry slices over warm oatmeal
• Prepare Strawberries and Blue Cheese Bruschetta and serve as an afternoon snack or at a picnic
• Purchase chocolate-covered strawberries at your Hy-Vee for an easy dessert
When choosing strawberries, look for shiny, firm berries with a bright red color. Be sure to store strawberries in the refrigerator and wash right before eating.
Strawberry and Blue Cheese BruschettaRecipe from Eating Well
Makes: 1 dozen
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
All you need:
12 medium strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1-2 teaspoons water, if needed
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
12 slices whole-grain baguette (1/4 inch thick), warmed or toasted
All you do:
1. Combine strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl and let stand while you make the cheese spread.
2. Combine cream cheese and blue cheese in a small bowl using a fork. Add water, if necessary, for a thick but spreadable consistency. Stir in 1 tablespoon chives and pepper.
3. Spread about 1 teaspoon of the cheese mixture on each piece of baguette. Top with the sliced berries. Garnish with a sprinkle of chives, if desired.
Per piece: 66 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 139 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium. Carbohydrate Servings: ½. Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.